Ortonville, the County Seat of Big Stone County, is located on Big Stone Lake along the western border of Minnesota (on the bump). Our population of 1,916 expands in the summer months with the seasonal cabins and resorts located along the lake.
(Check out our Blog Link above for the latest EDA news)
We are a community investing in the future.
- Municipal 25-bed Critical Access Hospital (managed by Sanford) and clinic facility which has been completely rebuilt ($17 million dollar investment with Phase 1 completed in 2009 and Phase 2 completed in 2012)
- The Ortonville EDA constructed (2004) and manages Fairway View Assisted Living senior housing facility. Due to the consistent wait list for Fairway View, this 34 unit facility (12 independent, 16 assisted and 6 memory care) is currently under review for an expansion in 2015 with OAHS taking the lead in this project.
- Along with the municipal health care and nursing home, the City also has its own municipal electric, airport, 18-hole golf course, swimming pool, outdoor hockey, community center, and nine parks with one appointed as the Minnesota River Regional Park (formerly known as Lakeside Park) which is the start of the Minnesota River Bike Trail.
Our top employment by Industry in Big Stone County:
- 44% Education & Health Services
- 16% Trade, Transportation and Utilities
- 9% Construction
- 9% Public Administration
- 7% Leisure and Hospitality